Mike's Mets

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

More from Mets Mini-Camp

Mets mini-camp in Port St. Lucie will wrap up today. Yesterday's second day of mini-camp gives us some comments from David Wright and Willie Randolph, while today Mike Pelfrey will be formally introduced as a New York Met.

Daily News: David Wright
Adam Rubin profiles 3B David Wright, who astonishingly ranks as one of the most senior Mets now. Only Cliff Floyd, Steve Trachsel, Tom Glavine and fellow baby Jose Reyes have been with the club longer. Wright comments on the roster upheavals of the past couple of seasons:

The turnover rate the last couple of years has been pretty drastic. I hope that we have a core group of guys now that are going to be around for a long time. Obviously, Carlos (Beltran) is going to be around for a while - another six years at least. Hopefully myself and Jose are around for a number of years together.

Rubin notes Wright's improving defense, noting that he only made 2 errors in August when the Mets made their push for a wildcard. He also gets Wright to comment on his hopes of being a team leader as time goes on:

I want to be considered a leader in the next (few) years when I hopefully get established. I don't have a goal set that I want to have a 'C' on my chest and I want to be a captain. It's something, if it comes along down the road ... it's an honor following guys like Johnny Franco, and Derek Jeter across town.

Rubin also reports that AAA Norfolk manager Ken Oberkfell, who was named Baseball America's minor league manager of the year in 2005, has an interview with the Washington Nationals for a major-league coaching position.

Newsday: More David Wright
Jim Baumbach also speaks with David Wright, who shares his reasons for showing up at the mini-camp, which is optional for major-leaguers:

It's good to get outside, run around, be in the sun. This is when you start to get completely focused on spring training. The smell of the locker room, getting on the field, swinging the bat, taking ground balls, watching the trajectory of the ball after you hit, something you can't do in the cage, this is all fun.

Wright tells Baumbach that he truly enjoys being a major league ballplayer:

Sometimes I sit back in New York, look at my locker and just seeing my name right there on a jersey, and it's such a privilege to put that jersey on.

I hope as his career goes on and he experiences the ups and downs, he doesn't lose that joy for the game. You're born with your talent, hard work can hone your skills, but it's loving what you do that can make you really special.

Also in Newsday: Put up or shut up time
Jim Baumbach reports on the high expectations that are riding on the Mets this year, and the added pressure that puts on manager Willie Randolph. Baumbach quotes Willie on what he learned about himself in his rookie year as manager:

First of all, I learned that I can manage, knowing that I could lead a ballclub. Just that all of the things that I've learned over the years, I can apply when I have to. You never know until you're in the situation how you're going to react.

Talking to some Mets fans I know, and reading what other bloggers are saying, there's a lot of nervousness about some of Willie's strange moves last year, the way he stayed with struggling players too long, and his awkward handling of the bullpen.

Personally, I remember watching Davey Johnson win a championship, and I never considered him a skillful in-game manager. Some of his moves were hard to explain, and his management of the pitching staff was pretty bad. But his teams had talent, and he had a way of getting players to believe in themselves. I'm sure that Willie will do things to get himself second-guessed this year, but I doubt that his managing will cost them much. He needs to manage his players, which he is good at, and get them to perform to their capabilities. If he can do that, they'll be fine, if he can't, he'll be job hunting.

TCPalm.com: Young players can benefit from the Classic
Lisa Riddle notes that, due to some veterans competing in this spring's World Baseball Classic, some younger players are going to get more of a look in spring training than they normally would.

RHP prospect Brian Bannister is not going to let the opportunity pass him by:

Usually you come into spring training at 75-80 percent, but I'm trying to come in at 90 percent because I'll be pitching more. We're going to loose a bunch of guys [to the WBC], and a lot more guys like me are going to get a shot.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site