Mike's Mets

Monday, January 09, 2006

Day 1 of Mets Mini-Camp

The opening day of Mets mini-camp offers the promotion of a former Mets hero, news about Alay Soler, and health updates on pitching prospects Phil Humber and Matt Lindstrom.

Mets.com: Mets Mini-Camp
Kevin Czerwinski reports from the Mets mini-camp in Port St. Lucie. He interviews 1986 Met Gary Carter, who was promoted to managing the Mets High-A affiliate in St. Lucie this summer. Last year, Carter's first in the organization, he managed the Gulf Coast Mets Low-A team. Carter makes no bones about his hopes to manage in the major leagues:

The Mets have given me a great opportunity. I'm very grateful and thankful for that, and I'm going to do everything I can to try and get [to the Major Leagues]. And if it does happen in a couple of years, fine. I feel I have the experience and knowledge to do the job even though they have guys in place now who are deserving. If it does happen, that will be a great day.

For now, I'm looking forward to being part of the community here and having another successful season. The Florida State League is known to be one of the best Minor Leagues. And it's a great developmental league.

Czerwinski also updates us on the status of Mets pitching prospect Matt Lindstrom. He was pitching in the Arizona fall league last year, but had to stop due to what was diagnosed as a stress fracture in his right arm. According to Lindstrom, the injury definitely held him back last year:

I was still able to throw the ball hard, but my control was all messed up because of it. Now I'm just looking forward to throwing without pain. I can't wait. I want to prove to the club that they didn't make a mistake by putting me on the roster. I want to show that I can produce, and I think I can.

Although he has experienced control problems, Lindstrom is a legitimate closer prospect.

Czerwinski also quotes Mets' roving Minor League pitching instructor Rick Waits that Cuban defector Alay Soler is looking really good pitching for Ponce in the Puerto Rican League:

Boy, he looked terrific. I saw him early on and he was just getting going but he looked good. I think his greatest asset is competitiveness on the mound. He is such a fierce competitor. He has real good command of his fastball, and he has an excellent slider. ... Soler ... knows how to pitch and has a lot to offer. I think he can start or come out of the 'pen. His stuff warrants him going either way.

Waits also raved to Czerwinski about hard-throwing reliever Rafael Cova, a former Phillies prospect who has enjoyed success in the Venezuelan League.

Czerwinski also spoke with 2004 first round draft pick Phil Humber, recovering from Tommy John surgery. Humber informs Czerwinski that he isn't experiencing any pain, but is taking it slow:

I could probably throw as hard as I want to, but I have to follow the program. So, I'm throwing just as hard as I have to reach the distance. I missed a lot of time last year, so it's good to get back here this week in the swing of things.

MetsBlog: Tom Glavine Interview
Matt Cerrone has an excellent interview with Mets pitcher Tommy Glavine.

MetsDaily.com: Interview with Jon Weisman
John Strubel has a new interview up, this one with Dodger blogger Jon Weisman, covering new Mets Duaner Sanchez and Steve Schmoll, along with what's been going on in LA.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site