Mike's Mets

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Mets Hot Stove: Beltran Interview, Mini-camp next week

The thoughts of one of last off-season's big free agent pickups concerning this years' highlight the evening Mets news.

Mets.com: Beltran Interview
Bryan Hoch was a participant in a telephone conference call interview with Carlos Beltran. Some of the highlights:

On the upcoming season:
I just believe this has to be our. If we stay healthy and we find a way to play the game right, I don't see why we can't win the division.

On best friend Carlos Delgado's character:
He's ... a guy [of] his word. Sometimes here in Puerto Rico, when you do activities, some other players say, 'Yeah, I'll be there, I'll be there,' and they never show up. He's a guy who if he says he's going to be there, he'll always show up.

On where he might bat in the lineup:
That's something that [manager] Willie Randolph and the coaches will decide, whether I'm to hit first, second, third, fourth, whatever. I'm just very happy and very excited [with] the movement the organization is making. Right now, they're adding players to the ballclub and I'm not really worried about that. I know I'm going to be in the lineup.

On his struggles in 2005, and looking ahead to 2006:
2005, for me, was a year of adjustment. Playing my whole career with a small-market team and being able to sign with a big-market team like New York, it was a little bit different.

At the same time, I feel happy with everything that I did. This year, 2006, I'm looking forward to staying healthy the whole season. I know that if I stay healthy, the numbers and everything I'm capable of doing, I will do it.

It's funny how many people are overlooking what Beltran might contribute to the Mets this year. In a lineup with a seasoned David Wright, Carlos Delgado and Cliff Floyd, the pressure should be off Beltran a little. When you look at how badly he played last year, he really has nowhere to go but up.

TCPalm.com: Mini-camp starts Monday
Spring edges just a little closer to those of us in the frozen northeast with the Mets mini-camp starting Monday. The mini-camp will continue through Wednesday afternoon.

MLB.com: Miguel Cairo returns to the Empire
Bryan Hoch reports that the Yankees and Miguel Cairo have agreed to a one-year contract, to the surprise of no one. I don't think that many Mets fans are all that broken up about this. It was somewhat ironic that the ones that were screaming loudest for him to take over 2B were the ones calling for Cairo's head when he went through his own struggles at the plate.

AP: Beltran would like to see the Mets get Manny
Ronald Blum reports on the conference call telephone interview with Carlos Beltran, citing Beltran on his feelings about the Mets getting Manny:

If it happens, that would be great. Who doesn't want to have Manny on the ballclub? Who doesn't want to have that bat on the ballclub?

Of course, Beltran is more realistic about a Ramirez deal than many in the media:

I think for the Mets to be able to get [a Ramirez trade] done, it has to be a perfect deal. If it doesn't happen, I think right now with what we've got, we can accomplish what we need to do.

My wish is that something would happen and these rumors would go away. If Omar is going to use what little chips he has left, let it be for a quality starter.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site