Mike's Mets

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Mets Mini-Camp, Day 2

Mike Pelfrey has passed a physical and will report to the final day of mini-camp tomorrow, while MLB.com Mets reporters profile some of the mini-camp attendees:

Mets.com: Mike Pelfrey passes physical, will report to mini-camp tomorrow
Bryan Hoch reports that Mets first round draft pick Mike Pelfrey, the ninth overall pick in the 2005 draft, has passed a physical in New York and will report to the last day of Mets mini-camp in Port St. Lucie tomorrow. The 6'7" right-hander was considered the top pitcher in the draft.

Also on Mets.com: Jeff Keppinger
Kevin Czerwinski reports on minor-league 2B Jeff Keppinger, who is trying to work his way back from last June's season-ending injury. According to Czerwinski, Keppinger is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Mets organization:

It's not that the scrappy second baseman doesn't have faith in his ability. That's far from the problem. It seems that Keppinger has remained just off the radar screen in New York despite a solid resume and endorsements that would appear to make him a very interesting candidate to play second base or at least get a long look as a bench player.

Keppinger doesn't feel as if he had a fair shot last year, and is keeping his expectation low this year:

I thought last year would be different. But it wasn't, so now my expectations aren't too high. I thought I had a shot last spring. But I had what, something like 12 at-bats? For all I know I could come in and get 12 at-bats again. I guess I'll find out when I get to the first game of Spring Training.

Czerwinski cites a couple of Keppinger's former managers -- Ken Oberkfell, who managed him in AAA-Norfolk last year, and Art Howe, who managed him with the Mets for the last month of 2004:

Oberkfell: He was doing a great job for us before the injury. I like the way he plays the game. He's a smart player, very intelligent. I like the way he hits too. He's a good contact hitter and doesn't strike out. He also moves runners over the way you should. He just does a good job. He's a steady player in my book.

Howe: He knows how to put the bat on the ball and he has the ability to hit the ball the other way. He can do some things offensively and he's solid defensively. He didn't seem at all fazed about being in the big leagues. I really liked what he showed us.

Keppinger will report to spring training early this year with the hopes of proving his worth to Willie Randolph.

Also on Mets.com: Brett Harper
Kevin Czerwinski also profiles Mets 1B prospect Brett Harper, the son of former major-leaguer Brian Harper. Harper is a former 45th round pick who had put up solid, if unspectacular numbers in the Mets system. Last year he broke out in a big way, finishing third in all the minor leagues in homers with 36, and led all Mets minor leaguers with 102 RBIs in stops at High-A St. Lucie and AA Binghamton.

Also on Mets.com: Castro Signed
Bryan Hoch reports that the Mets and backup catcher Ramon Castro have agreed to a one-year, $800,000 deal, avoiding salary arbitration. Hoch quotes Castro:

I'm happy. The Mets are the team that gave me a chance to play, and I really want to be there. I know what my job is going to be. They know I'm going to be ready on the bench. I know I'm going to have some at-bats and get into games. I'm looking forward to it and winning a championship with the Mets.

Castro's signing leaves the Mets with 2 remaining players eligible for salary arbitration: pitcher Victor Zambrano and infielder Chris Woodward.

AP: Sutter elected to the HOF
Relief pitcher Bruce Sutter was the only player elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Goose Gossage and Jim Rice fell just short. When the Hall is ready to induct players like Keith Hernandez, I'll care who they vote in.

620 WDAE: Wigginton signs with D-Rays
28-year-old former Mets 3B Ty Wiggington has signed a minor-league contract with Tampa Bay after being non-tendered by the Pirates last month.

Scout.com: Chad Bradford
For those that have a subscription to the on-line version of Mets Inside Pitch magazine, Brian Hoch has a nice profile of sidewinder Chad Bradford, Heath Bell, Royce Ring and some of the others competing for a bullpen job in 2006.

ESPN Page 2: Which fans suffer the most?
Jim Caple puts forth the MLB Misery Index of baseball fans. Mets fans ranked a surprisingly low eighteenth (and a 4-way tie at that) -- I don't think we got enough misery credit for putting up with Art Howe and Steve Phillips. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

When you've witnessed two unqualified miracles (1969 and 1986), there should be no misery. Unless, of course, someone mentions Mo Vaughn.

I'm 47, and 1969 is a distant childhood memory. Even 1986 was a long time ago, Mr. Caple.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site