Mike's Mets

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Drunken Sailor? Don't Think So...

I have just read the latest column by Dayn Perry on the Fox Sports web site. I don't always agree with what he says, but I always find him interesting.

I have to take some exception to his lead in this column that the Mets have gone into "drunken sailor mode". This has become a cliché in baseball circles, and I think it's unfair. This is coming from a Mets fan that doesn't believe in buying a team, and would probably be happier if the team was operating a little differently this winter.

Philosophical differences aside, one thing that I do admire is that Omar Minaya is operating from a solid plan and doing things in a logical manner. That's one thing you could never accuse Steve Phillips of, which makes me much more at ease with Omar's shopping spree. If I don't totally agree with everything done, I do understand what he's doing.

I'm not sure what the rest of the winter holds, so I will reserve my final judgment. Right now, Omar deserves his due. He's earned my respect.

Also, Perry is bringing up that luxury tax loophole, but as Tom Verducci pointed out, the threshold for the tax is $136.5 million -- a figure the Mets are extremely unlikely to reach. (If they do, we will revisit the "drunken sailor" analogy.)

Perry makes some recommendations for the Mets. He wants them to sign catcher Ramon Hernandez -- which we all would love provided he doesn't price himself out of here. The recommendation to keep Matsui as a utility infielder and bring someone else in might be practical if they wind up going the cheaper route for catcher. He wants to make the Kris Benson + prospect trade for Javier Vazquez, I'm not sure I'd give up Benson and a prospect unless the prospect is a grade B. Jacque Jones has been brought up before, and it didn't make sense then and still doesn't. Give Victor Diaz the chance to prove that he can do the job, you'll have Nady as insurance, plus you can always find an OF.

To me, do what you can to upgrade the starting pitching and setup men and then, "play ball!" Dayn Perry reminds me a little of the ex-wife here: too willing to spend someone else's money for things not really needed.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site


4 Comments:

  • Hi Mike- I swear Perry stole that drunken sailor thing from me-Look at the 7 Train the day before his article came out. Except I said it more as a description of this season compared to the "No one gets more than a 3 year deal-lets tie Duquettes hands attitude they had when Art Howe was here.

    I don't want to get rid of Benson, I'd rather give up Trachsel, and I really like the idea of Mark Grudzielanek at 2nd base.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:50 AM  

  • Hey, it's a good sign when someone steals something from you -- it means they're reading your stuff and it's good.

    I kind of like Benson, too, but it really seems Omar doesn't. If they do trade him, I'd rather see them get Vazquez in return than the Jorge Julio rumor from today.

    If they get a new 2B I like Mark Grudzielanek, too. Wish they would find a good player named "Smith" someday, though, these names with 20 letters are killing me.

    By Blogger Mike, at 11:31 AM  

  • LOL Thanks Mike, I appreciate that-you would think the guy could give one of us bloggers some credit!

    I know a SMith or a Jones would be nice-
    What do you think about this Benson rumor?
    Pretty awful, I looked up Julio's stats-pretty putrid.
    It makes no sense.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

  • I had to drive to several places for work and was listening to some Hot Stove stuff on WFAN. Buster Olney said that he thought this rumor was overblown, I can only hope he was correct. I was thinking about this deal all afternoon, and the more I think about it, the less I like it.

    By Blogger Mike, at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Return to Home Page