Mike's Mets

Monday, November 28, 2005

Mets Hot Stove: Wagner a Met

I was around all afternoon listening to all the Delgado happenings, then I have to go out for a couple of hours, confident that nothing else big will happen. I go take care of business, on the way home I'm listening to WFAN and almost drive off the road when they announce that Wagner will sign with the Mets as early as tomorrow.

From what I read, the story was originally broken by Ken Rosenthal on FoxSports.com. The deal is worth $43 million over 4 years with a club option for the 5th year, when Wagner will receive his AARP card. The Mets didn't waste any time after B.J.Ryan signed his contract.

I have to admit that I am really impressed with Omar on this. New York was not Wagner's first choice, and Omar did what he had to do to get this done quickly. I'm sure that much of what the Mets are going to do hinged on how much was spent on the closer, now he has a clearer idea on what he can afford to spend.

In an AP story by Roger Blum, Phillies GM Pat Gillick was quoted:

Going to a fourth year as the Mets went to, we didn't feel that comfortable. We were disappointed. At the same time, you can't say you're shocked or surprised that something like this would happen.

In Ken Rosenthal's article he also mentions Juan Encarnacion as a free agent the Mets are pursuing for the RF job. I think he's a decent player, but unless they are looking to move both Victor Diaz and Xavier Nady this would be a somewhat surprising move. Still, nothing would absolutely shock me at this point.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site