Mike's Mets

Friday, November 18, 2005

Mets Hot Stove: Friday Morning News

I promise to do my best to get off the Mike Cameron deal. Like I said, it just rubs me the wrong way. I don't feel that this was a disaster like the Kazmir - Zambrano deal, just more of a head-shaker. Trying to move on...

Daily News: Cliff will miss Mike
A lot of people tend to downplay the effect of losing a popular clubhouse guy like Mike Cameron. If you've ever played sports at any level you understand it better. Yes, team "chemistry" can be an overused term. When a team is winning, chemistry is almost automatic. When a team struggles, it matters more. Teams with chemistry tend to pull together, teams without tend to pull apart.

Adam Rubin also lets us know that Kenji Jojima has returned to Japan to "consult with his family about his future." That future almost certainly will not include the Mets. Somehow, this doesn't hurt very much. Perhaps the Cameron trade has steeled me to disappointment.

Lastings Milledge isn't letting the persistent trade rumors get him down, either. I guess they're bothering me more than him. Seems like everyday I read something that makes me like the kid more, and something else that gets me more convinced he'll never wear a New York Mets uniform.

Also, Cuban defector Alay Soler will pitch in the Puerto Rico winter league to prepare for the season, B.J. Ryan made an "informational" visit to Shea, Scott Eyre won't be coming, and the Mets will try to "ratchet up negotiations" with Scott Boras over first round draft pick Mike Pelfrey.

Also in the Daily News, you can count Bob Raissman among the proponents of a Manny to the Mets deal.
Raissman feels that Manny's presence will provide a huge boost for the Mets' new TV network. I can't argue with that, I'm just an old-fashioned guy that tends to rate moves on how they affect the long-term health of the team.

New York Post: More Manny Mania
Mark Hale also talks about the potential Manny deal. He reports (as do others) that there are no active talks regarding Manny between the Mets and the Sox. Not having a GM would tend to limit such talks, I would guess. Hale quotes an AL official that Omar "wants [Manny], but he isn't going to wait around. He doesn't want to get caught putting all his eggs in one basket."

Hale also quotes another AL official on Lastings Milledge, calling him: "among the top 20 prospects in baseball... [Milledge] needs to work on his plate discipline, but has everything else -- a slightly lesser Carlos Beltran."

Finally, Mike Cameron was asked if he was willing to come back to the Mets and play RF again. (Remember, one of the reasons that Cameron's value was down was because he was "demanding" a trade to another team that would let him play CF) Cameron's answer: "I gave it a lot of thought, and yeah, I could have done it. Once it was done, I could have gone over there and done it again. But turns out, I'm going to get another opportunity to go back to my old position." Either Cameron is lying here or someone on the Mets was.

Mets.com: Delgado.
In a story on the Mets' official site, Marty Noble talks about B.J. Ryan's visit, Jojima's snub, and Furcal's likelihood to sign with Chicago. What I found most significant was the Noble really seems to feel there is something to the Delgado trade rumors. I really don't understand why the Marlins would trade Delgado in their own division when there has to be teams that want him outside the NL East. The whole story is weird -- I found it hard to understand last year that Delgado signed without a no-trade clause.

New York Times: Wagner
Ben Shpigel in the Times has a good update on Billy Wagner. Some in the media are painting it as almost a foregone conclusion that Wagner will sign here; but the Phillies -- after really bungling things for a while -- are getting it right under new GM Pat Gillick.

Finally, at Take the "7" Train, Kevin offers a really passionate argument for keeping Lastings Milledge and some of the other kids in the system.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site


4 Comments:

  • Hi MIke- Shari from the 7 Train here- I agree Cameron did alot behind the scenes for the team, I think the Mets got the short end of the stick with this trade, especially if it stays the way it is.
    I know you don't want Manny- but I have to respectfully disagree with you there if this Cameron thing was a stepping stone to getting him

    BTW- Love your doggie in the photo with you-I've got 2 shepherds.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:10 PM  

  • Hi Shari -- I know you disagree with my feelings about Manny, I'm a fan of both you and Kevin and Take the "7" Train. Thanks for respectfully disagreeing -- others have disagreed without any respect at all. :) That's what makes this fun, that so many of us love the Mets but have different opinions. I wrote a few days ago that I really enjoy listening to intelligent people that don't agree with me. You definitely fall into that category.

    Thanks for the comment on the doggie. Her name was Rikki and she was quite a character. She's no longer with us. Good luck with your 2.

    By Blogger Mike, at 4:34 PM  

  • Hi Mike- Sorry It took me so long to get back to you.
    I appreciate your kind words, I enjoy your blog very much too, and Kevin & I appreciate the link on your site.

    I'm so sorry about Rikki, I know how that is, my husband Dan & I lost our first baby "Christine" in February 2003. We still get weepy when we talk about her. One of the shepherds I have now happens to be her great niece-she looks and acts just like her, it makes us laugh but sometimes it makes us very sad becaue we miss her so much.

    Rikki is adorable-you both looked very happy together.

    Turning back to baseball-I just hope Mike Jacobs doesn't come back to bite the Mets in the ass.
    I've seen it so many times, but the one positive with Delgado is that Beltran may be able to relax now.
    They are good friends and Beltran doesn't have to be the guy everyone looks to anymore.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:37 PM  

  • Hi Shari,
    I appreciated your words on Rikki. She's actually been gone a while, when I needed a picture for the blog that was the only one on my computer. I could probably have another one done but I like having her in the picture.

    I agree with you on Jacobs, and I worry that Petit might bite them, too. I still had to support the Delgado trade. It just made sense.

    By Blogger Mike, at 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Return to Home Page