Mike's Mets

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Catching Up On Some Mets News

With the free agent push starting diehard Met fans begin to put together their own personal shopping lists for who they want to see wearing the blue and orange next year. As likely as it is that players will be added via free agency, it is an absolute certainty that some current players will depart.

Mike Piazza is almost certain to go to a team that is willing to give him more than just a part-time role, probably in the American League. Braden Looper will find a team that will offer him the closer role, because there just aren't that many quality options out there. Felix Heredia, Doug Mientkiewicz, Mike DeFelice, Gerald Williams, and Jose Offerman are all unlikely to return and unlikely to be missed. (Undeniably Williams brings a nice clubhouse presence, but his skills both offensively and defensively just aren't there anymore.) The Mets have bought out Danny Graves and he has filed for free agency to almost universal indifference on the part of Met fans. Kaz Ishii has a buyout in his contract and is likely to be shown the door, also.

Steve Trachsel's option for next year will undoubtedly be picked up by the Mets. Miguel Cairo has already filed and seems to be gone. It's amazing how completely many fans have turned against him, after practically canonizing him early in the year. I still think he can be a valuable bench player. Marlon Anderson has also filed, most fans including myself would like to see the team resign him and reliever Roberto Hernandez. I had assumed that Chris Woodward was on a one year contract, but I haven't seen him on any list of potential departures. I would definitely like to see him back in 2006.

Can Trachsel and Zambrano both be traded?

In today's Daily News Adam Rubin states that the Mets will look to trade both Steve Trachsel and Victor Zambrano along with Cameron in the off-season. Somehow that was something that I never considered, but if that is indeed the case it would make some sense of the talk that the Mets plan to use Heilman as a starter in 2006.

Rubin also mentions the possibility that the Mets might look for a cheaper catcher than Hernandez or Molina; that makes sense when you consider the money these two will be looking for and all of the holes the Mets need to fill.

Pedro's Toe

Earlier in the week Newsday's David Lennon had a piece on concerns over Pedro's injured toe. Apparently, it's slow to heal and there is still the possibility that it may require surgery.

Gordon & Hoffman?

I've been reading that the Mets are looking to sign both Trevor Hoffman and Tom Gordon. I'm curious who will be the closer in this scenario, or if they believe they can sign both as set-up men for someone like Wagner or Ryan -- unlikely given the cost. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Tom Gordon in pressure situations, even as a set-up man. (See his games vs. the Red Sox while with the Yankees.) I'd have to admit, though, having these 2 in the pen would be a significant upgrade. I'll be following this story with interest.

An apology

The quality of writing in this blog has been pretty spotty lately. As I've stated in the "What We're About" page, part of my reason for doing this blog is as "therapy" for some chronic Lyme disease symptoms I am going through: i.e. dizziness, headaches and fatigue. I've come to realize in the past week (should have seen it sooner) that I need to step away from this when I am experiencing more severe symptoms. I make no pretense of being a great writer, but I have great respect for the craft, and in the future will do my best to make sure what is posted here meets certain minimum standards. I have too much respect for anyone who elects to spend their time reading my thoughts to do any less.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site