Mike's Mets

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Anyone Have Some Perspective I Can Borrow?

Braves 4 - Mets 2

After the game yesterday I sat there shaking my head and thinking over and over, "what a disaster." It's been a pet phrase of mine regarding all things Met for quite a long time. And then I thought about New Orleans, and I felt ashamed of myself. I think a lot of us are going to face this dilemma for the foreseeable future, as we nurse the small wounds that life sends our way. And trust me, I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to feel about this, I just need to figure it out for myself.

Yesterday's game sucked, in oh-so-many ways. God, I'm tired of watching the Mets make Larry Jones a hero. I'm tired of the words "lack of clutch hitting." Although I don't blame Willie quite as much as some others seem to be doing, I can't shake the feeling over the past week that he hasn't been handling the pressure all that well. He might have a lot of winning experience as a player and coach, but as a manager we're looking at a raw rook. And it's probably not fair to expect anything different.

There is a lot to dislike here, and in a season where you began to feel a little proud to be a Met fan again you're starting to experience an uncomfortable feeling of déjà vu. I can deal with this team falling out of the playoff race, I'm just not happy with the way they are doing it. And I can go on and on, but I'm not going to. I just need to breathe.

This blog has a new home
Visit Our New Web Site